Monday, March 24, 2014

Informational writing

In writing this quarter we have been focusing on informational writing to connect to the informational text comprehension skills we are practicing. We began the unit with "how to" writing pieces. The idea was to teach the reader how to do something step by step. We used transitional words, first, next, then, and last. We labeled our picture to help the reader understand the story and made sure to add lots of details to describe the steps. We've concluded the unit with "all about" books. The students picked a topic they know a lot about that they wanted to teach the reader. They had to create 5 pages that had different supporting details to teach about the topic. After they completed their writing we began partner editing each other's work. We use the five finger trick("did I use spaces, did I use capitals and lowercase correctly, did I put periods at the end of my sentences, did I spell sight words correctly, did I write neatly?). We are going to publish out stories to the class at the end of the week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment